Breakfast is one of my most favorite things. Not just a favorite meal, but I love everything surrounding breakfast. The conversation, relaxed moods, aroma. Ok, mostly just on weekends or when I have a lot of time in the mornings though.
Why is it that kitchens make for some of the best conversations? I can't say for sure, but I know this is true for me personally. I just love hanging out in people's kitchens. Growing up, my mama, sissy and I have always enjoyed whipping up something yummy--whether it be bran muffins, homemade waffles, or coffee cake. Served alongside scrambled eggs à la avocado and feta cheese. Washed down with a hot cup of coffee filled with International Delight cream. Mmm.
Since being married my hubs and I make a pretty big deal about breakfast as well, and have come up with some Shirkman staples. Our most recent favorite? Apple Cinnamon Muffins.
These little babies taste like fall in a muffin tin. Delish.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
servings: 12 regular size
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup scant* granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup veggie oil
1 apple, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400° F (or 200° C, now that I'm in Europe). Line tray with muffin liners.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add in oil, milk and egg. Mix until mostly combined.
- Fold in the apples.
- Fill muffin trays about 2/3 of the way.
- Sprinkle each muffin with a little extra cinnamon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (could vary depending on your oven and pan).
We serve ours with a cup of hot apple cider or coffee. And gotta add a side of eggs for the protein. The hubs and I smash these pretty hard.
Do you have any favorite breakfast dishes?
*Scant is a measurement, meaning you don't fill it all the way to the top