If you've been around here long you'll know that I LOVE breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day and definitely the one I get most excited about eating, this pumpkin banana oatmeal included.
Ya know what's strange? I went most of my life not being a fan of pumpkin. Then a few years ago I tried it again and am so glad I did. Now I'm one of those people who bakes with pumpkin year-round and can't imagine only eating it at Thanksgiving. Gasp!
Combining my love for pumpkin and breakfast led to the creation of this pumpkin banana oatmeal. It is so creamy and full of flavor, not that drab, gummy oatmeal you've had before. I used the old fashioned preparation method and did it on my stovetop, but you could certainly do it in the microwave as well (just microwave the milk, oats and salt as normal and add in everything else after).
Pumpkin Banana Oatmeal
1 cup milk (I used almond, but water or any kind of milk work as well)
1/2 old fashioned rolled oats
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup walnuts
Drizzle of honey
- Combine milk, oats and salt in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally (length of time may vary depending on type of liquid used).
- Stir in pumpkin, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and banana. Continue stirring until hot, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the walnuts and honey.
- Dish out into your favorite bowl, drizzle with a little more honey if you wish and enjoy!