Snacks are just a vital part of my day. I've never been one to just eat three larger meals each day. I usually don't feel well when I eat that much at one time, so I like to eat throughout the day.
The Shirkman family (as in Jordan and me) is big time into what we call "snickity snacks"–any form of food to munch on through the day.
Snacking can easily become a dangerous habit–nibbling on what's here and there (like that bowl of chocolate candies at Grandma's, yikes). That's why it's so important that you keep things on hand that are healthy and easy to pull out or whip together.
Here is a list of five of our favorite snacks, all of which are easy to make and inexpensive:
- Nailed-it Granola: served with Greek yogurt, kefir, milk or straight up.
- Lemon Garlic Rosemary Hummus + Carrots: this stuff is out of this world. And no tahini required. Simple and straightforward.
- Smoothie: loaded with nutrients and can throw in whatever you have on hand. Some basics on smoothie making and my favorite combinations are in the link provided.
- Rice Cake AB+J: (as in almond butter + jelly) I've been devouring almond butter the last few months. It's nice to switch it up and try out different nut butters. This lighter take on PB+J leaves you filled and provides an awesome crunch. Just smooth on almond butter then top with jam and you're good to go. I guess this is more of an "open-faced" sandwich, as we don't top it with another rice cake. Theoretically you could... but that would just be a mess.
- Guacamole: what is it about this mashed avocado goodness that is so satisfying! Nothing better than homemaking it to suite your tastes–garlicy, spicy, mlid, chunky, creamy–you name it. My personal recipe coming soon!